33 A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest 34 and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man. NIV
When some of us are asked the question: What can you consider as your greatest achievements in life? Some people reply might be: Being wealthy, driving exotic cars, fruitful marriage and so forth. Now, I won’t say these things are not good. Of course, they are part of God’s plan for our lives.
How many times have we asked God: What is my purpose on earth? The number one thing every individual should take note of is we all are going to give account of how we live our life on the final day and it will be a life time disaster if God doesn’t recognize you.
It’s a pity so many called believers don’t even have a glimpse of why God sent them to that family, that country, that church, that organization, etc. They have no vision, no mission or goal. They just want to sleep, snore, drool and remain idle.
So many of us mark our birthday every year, do we take time to meditate and ask if you are really growing in God’s purpose, we waste away precious time doing unnecessary things that aren’t relevant to the kingdom of God. Do you even know that there are certain responsibilities you have in some people’s lives in aspect of: leadership, mentoring, selfless prayers, visitation, evangelism, etc. The moment a man realizes his purpose on earth, oh I say a big congratulation because that is the beginning of God’s glory.
Ever since I know time and location has to do with purpose, I will always ask God at every point: Why I’m I here at this time? And since the beginning of this year, I’ve made it an habit that for every new person I meet at a particular time, I go on my knees and cry out to my father asking him: Lord, the purpose why I met this person, let it come to fulfillment. I will always tell God to open my eyes to see why I have a contact with that person. How often do we cry out to God to order our steps? I think we should discuss about this:
Categories of people regarding purpose in life:
- Purpose Driven: This refers to an individual who already has a steady relationship with God and has also realized God’s purpose for his/her life and is already a work-in-progress in fulfilling the purpose.
- Mystified purpose: Of course, we still have Christians not church goers who has a relationship with God but are yet to identify their purpose. Do you spend so much time wondering about what career or purpose is right for your life. This is a category for as many of us who might feel that there is a true purpose on earth but is yet to discover the purpose.
- Ignorant Driven: This is a complete lazy person who doesn’t even have a vision, doesn’t even know God nor knowing his purpose. This refers to someone who is yet to surrender totally to the master. I strongly advise a change of heart.
If finding your life purpose seems like an elusive undertaking, don’t panic! God has a plan for every single person. How do we identify God’s purpose for our lives?
- Acknowledging the fact that there is no purpose outside God; in essence, giving total control of your life to Jesus Christ. There is nothing absolutely nothing as sweet as this experience. Committing our lives to Jesus commit us to an enduring, life-long mission. You wouldn’t dream of moving forward without a rock solid foundation.
- Acceptance and willingness; I’ve heard so many people complain Nigeria is behind their failure, the truth is you are the one responsible for your life. We should accept that God does no mistake and therefore has a purpose for whatever location you find yourself.
- At this point, someone might think I would say PRAY AND PRAY HARD. God is not a magician; he won’t come down from heaven and scream into our ears to say: SON OR DAUGHTER- THIS IS YOUR PURPOSE. You should start from making a list of things you enjoy doing (something you have great passion for) and also write down names of people you admire including the reason why you admire them.
- Look at ways to incorporate your passions, actions and genius more into your life. As you do this, your life will begin to unfold.
- Be patient; don’t just expect everything to be all bloom and bright. Learn to trust God in every situation; he is not going to show you every piece of the puzzle all at once. Remember life is meant to be difficult! It’s what enables us to grow, earth is not heaven.
- Never waste time on things that aren’t from God. Outside God – No purpose.
- Meditate on the word of God. Ingest it, digest it and never neglect it. Joshua 1:8
- Pray like never before on every step you want to take…Just keep communicating to God. Make sure you are tuned to the right frequency to get the right signal.
- Lastly, don’t ever give up. Those who give up don’t get there!
And I pray for somebody who is determined to take these steps today that you shall fulfill purpose on earth. God will cause you to see a newer dimension of him. Go forth and fulfill purpose.
Recommended Book: The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth am I here for? By Rick Warren